Here's How Sex Can Boost Your Health
Did you know that sex is healthy? Here are some of the top ways regular sexual activity can boost your health and help you feel like a million bucks.
Have you ever noticed that some of the most desirable things in life actively destroy your health if you indulge in them? (Here’s looking at you, brownies and ice cream!)
Well, we have good news for you! One of the most universally enjoyable activities also happens to be excellent for your health. It’s what makes the world go-‘round and turns your world upside-down (in the best way possible!)
Yes, we’re talking about sex. And even though it may seem like a guilty pleasure, sex is healthy. Every time you engage in sexual intimacy, you do some really great things for your health. Here are a few things you should know about the health benefits of regular sex and why it should be included in your overall health care approach.
Why Do We Need Sex?
Sex is necessary to reproduce and populate the globe. Even though that is its most basic purpose, sex is also an important activity that can help you feel closer to your sexual partner while simultaneously boosting your health.
Sexuality is an important part of life. Sometimes, when people think about sexual health, they primarily think about protected sex and avoiding sexually transmitted diseases. But sexual health also involves recognizing the importance and the benefits of sex.
What Does Sex Do for Our Bodies?
If you’ve been wondering, “Is sex healthy?” the answer is a resounding “YES!” People are often surprised to discover just how beneficial sex is for our bodies. Here’s a brief overview of the health benefits frequent sex can provide.
Reduced Risk of Some Diseases
Want to live a long, energetic life? Have more sex! No really, a healthy sex life is associated with a decreased risk of certain diseases. Women who nurture their sexuality and experience physical intimacy regularly are less likely to develop hypertension, heart disease, or stroke.
Your partner can also benefit significantly from a healthy sexual relationship. The American Journal of Cardiology published a study stating that men who had sex at least twice per week had a decreased risk of heart attack and some other diseases. Having sex regularly may also help reduce the likelihood of developing erectile dysfunction.
Decreased Blood Pressure
Sexual intimacy can be a potent stress reducer. Have you ever told a friend who was too uptight that she needed to go “get some?” That’s because most people realize that sexual activity can help release pent-up tension and stress.
Excessive or chronic stress can lead to increased blood pressure. The good news is that we may be able to lower our blood pressure by engaging in sexual activity. So go “get some,” girl!
More Burned Calories
Are you always looking for ways to burn off excess calories? Try jumping into the sack! One study estimates that women who engage in approximately 25-minute sex sessions burn three calories per minute. That’s a much more enjoyable way to exercise than jogging or walking on a treadmill!
In addition to all of these benefits, research shows that people who engage in regular sexual activity also tend to have better dietary and exercise habits. When you know someone else is going to see you naked, it tends to motivate you to tone up your body. Physical fitness is also associated with improved sexual performance and sexual pleasure, which are two things we all want!
How Much Sex Is Healthy?
OK, ladies. It’s time to have a heart-to-heart. There is no single definition of a “healthy sex drive,” so please don’t compare yourself to anyone else. Everyone goes through periods when their sexual behavior is governed by raging hormones followed by periods of low sex drive. But if you’re concerned that you have a sexual problem and don’t want sex as often as you think you should, it’s a great idea to talk to a sex therapist.
There are a variety of things that can potentially lead to a low sex drive, including:
- Hormone imbalances (which are much more common than you think!)
- Fear of contracting one or more sexually transmitted infections
- Fear of an unintended pregnancy
- Sexual dysfunction
- Verbal, physical, or emotional abuse from an intimate partner
If you’re concerned that your sexual function isn’t where it should be because of any of the above reasons, it’s important to recognize the problem and take steps to correct it. Your reproductive health is worth it!
What Are the Benefits of Sex?
Sex is healthy (and extremely enjoyable). Everyone, regardless of sexual orientation, can benefit from a healthy sex life. It’s also important for older adults to keep the spark going in their relationships whenever possible. Sexual intimacy isn’t just for young adults. Having a good orgasm on a regular basis is something women should enjoy well into our older years, too!
Besides the physical and mental health benefits we’ve already mentioned, here are a few more benefits you or your partner (or both!) can enjoy by increasing your sexual frequency:
- Increased sexual desire: That’s right, having sex may actually increase your desire to have more sex. This could be because many people naturally get tired after sex and have a more restful night’s sleep. And when you’re well-rested, your sexual desire tends to increase.
- Relief from pain: Pain might seem like a barrier to sex (especially when you’re talking about menstrual pain), but research shows that a good orgasm may actually relieve the pain of cramps for women! Talk about the best-kept secret ever! Though it may be hard to work up to it, if you are able to experience an orgasm while you’re having menstrual cramps, you may benefit from some pain relief immediately afterward.
- Beautiful, healthy-looking skin: Have you ever heard of the “morning after” glow? Well, it turns out it’s a real thing! Sex helps improve blood flow to more than just your intimate parts. It causes increased blood flow throughout the entire body, which can contribute to healthy, youthful-looking skin.
But perhaps the most notable benefit of nurturing your sexuality is that it can boost your mood. When you experience sexual satisfaction, you’re more likely to feel happy and content with your life.
How Can I Get More Out of My Sex Life?
Are you wondering what you can do to experience your best sex life ever? Here are some suggestions for getting more out of your intimate encounters.
- Give yourself time to become aroused and reach orgasm (and encourage your partner to give you enough time, as well!)
- Educate yourself on how to experience sexual satisfaction
- Use lubrication if necessary to make sure you’re comfortable throughout intercourse
- Do Kegel exercises to tighten the muscles in your pelvic floor
- Try not to give yourself unrealistic performance expectations (which will likely make you too tense to enjoy your sexual encounters)
In addition to all of these great ideas, you can also take advantage of Herlove’s libido-boosting benefits. Each packet of Herlove has a carefully-selected concoction of pleasure-enhancing herbs and nutrients to help make your intimate encounters more mind-blowing than ever. To learn more about this incredible product and other products that can make your life better, check out Mixhers resources.
Not sure which drink is right for you?
Get matched with products designed for your unique wellness goals.Take the quiz